As the 6th anniversary of Joe’s move to heaven approaches, I find myself thinking about the things he wanted me to do if I outlived him.
What Joe Wanted
A life of pain and agony is not what Joe wanted for me, as we had this discussion many times. He wanted me to move forward with life by:
- Excelling in my career at the bank.
- Dating again.
- Marrying again.
What He Got
Here’s how each one of his wishes turned out, in addition to some things he never expected.
- Excelling in my career at the bank – I am glad he was positive about me being having a successful career at the bank. However, the joke was on him as I was laid off in 2009.
- Dating again – Once again the joke is on him as men my age suffer from the “George Clooney” syndrome and only want 25 – 35 yr old ladies on their arm. Plus I choose to meet men the old fashioned way – in person. That opportunity has not presented itself, at least no yet. While I might be forward thinking in some area’s of life (blogging), meeting someone online gives me the creeps. Although it would make an interesting blog series. 😉
- Marrying again (see Dating).
- Learning to blog – He taught me about computers but never about blogging or website design.
- Resume writing – Joe was my resume writer so when I got laid off I was upset at him. How dare he leave me with to do this on my own. However, I learned how to do it and it really is not so bad, unlike writing cover letters.
- Job Search – He would be dazed and confused at what all is involved in finding a job now. I am sure he is impressed with how I’ve handled it, especially the networking.
So he never got what he wanted but hopefully he is glad at some of the things that happened since his move to heaven.
You can’t always get what you want.
The Rolling Stones