This list of helpful books will be updated periodically:
- NIV Study Bible published by Zondervan. This is the Bible I use and most Biblical quotes on this site will come from this version. You will find plenty of hi-liter, pen and sticky notes in my Bible.
- Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations for Working Through Grief – Martha Whitmore Hickman – Joe’s aunt gave a copy of this at his wake. It is not geared towards any one religion. Ms. Hickman has been through grief and has put together an excellent book that helped me work through my grief. I have also given this book to others who find themselves on a grief journey. The book has a five-star rating on Amazon and 201 customer reviews – need I say more.
- Through a Season of Grief: Your Journey from Mourning to Joy – Bill Dunn & Kathy Leonard – It is available on Amazon and also through the bookstore and via daily email on Griefshare.org. I received the emails and was also given the book. I still refer back to this book when necessary.
- God’s Healing for Life’s Losses, How to Find Hope When You’re Hurting – Robert W. Kellemen, Ph.D. A book that will help you work through any time of loss, from death – to job loss and anything in-between. Grab a notebook and write your answers in it, that way you can reuse the book anytime there is a loss. Your answers to the questions at the end of the chapters will change depending upon the type of loss you are experiencing.
- Choosing Joy, a 52 – Week Devotional for Discovering True Happiness – Angela Thomas – There is a different topic each week and Ms. Thomas has divided each topic into 5 days (Monday – Thursday and then The Weekend). Weekly topics include “Joy Instead Of Despair,” “Joy When Everything Is Gone,” and “Joy In Knowing God More.” Reading this book every morning is a blessing and there are days where the devotional seems to have been written just for me.
- Choose Joy Because Happiness Isn’t Enough – Kay Warren. This book is wonderful and a great gift for anyone whether or not they are grieving. God wants His children to experience joy and Kay Warren help you walk the joy track in life. Again, there are plenty of sticky notes, and notes penned in margins. I also love the quotes at the beginning of each chapter. So pick up a copy and go to the alter of God, who is the source of your joy.