I got away from doing this exercise a long time ago and after the day I had yesterday, I need to do it again – every day.
- I need to do it because I care about my sanity.
- I need to know that at the end of the day there are more good people out there than bad.
- I need an attitude adjustment towards my fellow humans, because right now I do not think fondly of you. (My fellow “31 Dayer’s” excluded). Yes, I realize it is not fair that my opinion of humanity is based on about 75 conversations per day.
So here is the exercise I am doing starting today. All that is required are black beads, blue beads and a clear container. (If you are a klutz like me, make sure your container is plastic.) 😉
- For every nice, caring person I have a phone conversation with, a blue bead will go into a clear, plastic container.
- For every mean, nasty person I speak with, a black bead will go into the container.
- On those days when black out numbers blue – I pour out the beds knowing
Hopefully by the end of my shift, there will be more blue beads than black beads. Although yesterday there would have been more black.
This exercise can be adapted to any job or to life in general. All you need to do is to define a blue bead moment and black bead moment.
Won’t you join me in doing this exercise?