One person gives freely, yet gains even more;
another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.
A generous person will prosper;
whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.
“Give to get” is a way of life now-a-days.
- Give a reason to people why they should help you.
- Give a recommendation on LinkedIn in order to get one.
- Give a potential employer a reason to hire you by telling them how you will save/make money.
You give, then you will get. Well…
Bah, humbug, on this idea of giving just to get something in return.
Follow a kinder path –
give just to give.
- Send Christmas cards and do not keep track of who sends you one.
- Donate clothing to a charity without asking for a tax-deductible receipt.
- Give your time to someone whether it is listening to their story, helping them with chores, or helping them address the envelopes for their Christmas cards.
My Favorite Idea
Be an Anonymous Secret Santa.
- Send someone a Christmas card but do not sign it.
- Send a small gift every day the week of Christmas.
- Put a gift on their door-step in the middle of the night.
All they will know is someone cares, which will bring them joy at a time when they just might need it the most.
This idea will help you whether you know someone who is grieving and/or unemployed or you are grieving and trying to figure out how to get through the holidays. What better way to enjoy the holidays then to give to others without expectation of receiving anything.
You reap what you sow including all the joy you give to others. It will one day come back to you, it might take 20 years but it will come back to you many times over.
May giving to give nourish your soul and mind and bring you a bounty of joy during this Christmas season and beyond.
Who are you going to play Secret Santa to?
Let Christmas not become a thing
Merely of merchant’s trafficking,
Of tinsel, bell and holly wreath
And surface pleasure, but beneath
The childish glamour, let us find
Nourishment for soul and mind.
Let us follow kinder ways
Through our teeming human maze,
And help the age of peace to come
From a Dreamer’s martyrdom.